Why are you doing a PhD?

R

Go - what was number 7 on the list of doomed life experiences going to be?

T

I do find that sometimes my common sense goes out of the window.. and today I am putting together a couple of presentations and my spelling has been terrible!

K

I'm glad I'm not the only one that questions this. I'm starting to think the main benefit is so that I can say 'Dr' rather than Miss, Ms or Mrs!

C

Does anyone else read this and think "Yeah - Why am I doing a PhD?" Short answer is it seemed like a good idea at the time! I spent 3 years not really knowing what to do after graduating, and was mainly working as a barmaid/waitress. I knew I wanted to do something with my degree but didn't really know what, and I had a lot of friends doing PhDs so it seemed like a natural thing to do. Sometimes I wish I was doing something more exciting like travelling the world, but generally I like my PhD and it sure beats working 9-5 in a office. (though it's not quite as much fun as working behind the bar and generally drinking 24/7!)

S

I went for a horrible interview for a job, and realized that my personality just wasn't suited to working in business. Decided to do a PhD as a way into research/academia. Also, it helps that my other half is still studying and so is easier for both of us if we are at the same stage career wise.

W

Cos I ain't got no place else to go!!! (blub, blub,sniffle)

P

When I ask myself this question I would like to think that I’m doing it to be able to prove to myself that I can accomplish anything I set my mind to. I don’t want to look back at life and always wonder if I was capable of doing this PhD. Sure, as I’m getting ready to submit now, I am finding it just as hard to search for jobs and frustration often brings this question to my mind. But I take comfort in the fact that the very best human qualities lie within overcoming what seem initially to be insurmountable odds. And in our very own little way, we are no different to explorers or mountain climbers who push to achieve the impossible. Sorry i got a little philosophical there :-(

P

It was a carrot and stick thing for me.

Carrot: Its a real puzzle, I enjoy the intellectual challenge, this is the main reason. The project is interesting, I like to do application-oriented research. I get to read cutting-edge stuff, and I get to do tons of programming as well, which I like. I got a bit of extra funding from an industrial sponsor so it is about the same money as I got in my job, but unfortunately without the generous pension. I get lots of support from my supervisor. The university is not that far away from me, so I did not have to move: I own a house and have school age children.

Stick: My job was boring, I was working as a database administrator (really a sort of junior database developer). It had no real prospects for advancement, improvement or training. It was not particularly well paid, either. The I.T. department were not respected within the organisation and decisions were made without consulting those who know about the issues.

E

Good question Ju Ju

Firstly, I like the fact that you use 'doing' not 'getting' as many of the guides present the PhD (process not product style)

To answer your question however - might I call on a very popular maxim we have all heard often?

Because I'm worth it!

(up)

G

For 'the money and the girls'.

A

Because I always wanted to but never thought I would have the opportunity
So I could work as a lecturer
So I could inspire people like I was once inspired (perhaps cheesy but true)
So I could do a job where I am allowed to use my brain, and think the way I like to think, and where that is valued and rewarded
So I could have a job I wanted and feel happy, and not just go to work because I have to
And, of course, so I can call myself Dr!

(These are the things I am trying to tell myself, and need to remind myself of more)

P

As I didn't want to get a job :$

Sadly, I still had to.. I just put it off for an extra 3 years!

K

Because I wanted to try and change things instead of just reading about them and wondering why they are the way they are.....I haven't changed anything yet, but i am in my first year still:-)

H

See the poll I made! Would be interesting to see what everyone selects!