Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

Funding - how, where and when!

R

Hiya,

I am thinking about undertaking a PhD but am struggling to work out which order and how to get funding. I will need to either work part time or get funding to cover not working due to bills etc. What is the best process for this - I have some ideas about a PhD topic but am not sure if I develop these, present them to someone and then search for funding, or look around (and if so where?) for PhD's in my area of interest (dementia/Mental Health).

I am really confused and don't know where to start - can anyone help?????

Thanks

Rachel

M

Hi Rachel. I'm not sure how it works specifically for your topic but for social science the process is to develop your idea for the PhD as much as possible, then research potential supervisors. In the UK the "who" is as much - if not more - important than the
"where". Seek out professors who supervise in your domain, send them your proposal and take it from there. You'll get some immediate "no, I wouldn't supervise this", and some interested parties, at which point you can start to narrow down which institution/s you apply to. (And then, having secured your place, the institution will guide you as to what sources of funding are available).

Good luck