Close Home Forum Sign up / Log in

PhD Chemistry academic requirements. Doubts

C

Hi everyone,

I am applying for PhD studentships in Chemistry for September 2011 entry and the point is that I was rejected because I do have an equivalent of 2.2 (high one) on my first degree (it´s a Spanish Chemistry Degree).

I just finished a MSc in Chemistry as well in Newcastle University, being quite close of getting a distinction (67%), but a Pass with Merit anyway. During the very last days I talked to my tutor at Newcastle about doing a PhD in the UK and he told me that, for most Universities the academic requirements are at least an upper second class in MSc/MSci/MChem, so I was told to be on track of getting that.

I know, it´s just the very first one and it´s a really top Uni, I have already applied for three more studentships and I am still doing some research about more PhD studentships to apply for. But I was thinking if it wouldn´t be better to comment this circumstances of mine to the potential supervisor, or to the person in charge of the postgraduates studies of the corresponding School of Chemistry and ask whether I can apply for PhD studentships or not.

I know it can depend on the university, but I would like to have an idea about the chances of getting a position in a University with a well performance in the RAE 2008.

Can anybody help me with this? do you know someone in this position?

Thanks in advance