Doctorate/Phd - difference?

L

Hi,
Am wondering if anyone can explain to me what the difference between the two are?

I have completed my Masters & am being encouraged to develop my research interests by registering on the doctorate. I have been advised that after about 18 months I may then decide to transfer onto the PhD.

When I asked my supervisor what the difference is, she said a matter of 30, 000 words and that's it. Seems odd that I could complete a doctorate level of study in 3 years and walk away with the same award as someone who studies for 6 producing a few more chapters?

If anyone can expand upon my superivor's explanation I'd be grateful.

Many thanks,
Lib

S

Unless I've been in denial all this time:

PhD (Doctor of Philosophy) = Doctorate

... or DPhil, or...

L

I'm aware it seems something of a daft question.However, I am being presented in balck and white with a choice of registering for a doctorate (2-3 years) which is being explained as a shorter less intense reserach option than the (a) PhD.

My subject area is psychoanalysis...maybe that explains everything and nothing.

to me that sounds like PhD-direct option, rather than transferring from MPhil first. Mine is PhD-direct for example, so I didn't have to do a transfer stage, and it is 2-3 years full time on the paper, but the reality side is 3-4 years.

L

Thanks 404, that makes sense and fits with what I managed to find out in between yours and my last post.

Cheers

A

Or do they mean a professional doctorate (doctor of ..... not sure, if it would be psychoanalysis, I know there is a doctor of clinical psychology) as opposed to a PhD (doctor of philosophy).

not that I know much about professional doctorates, 'cept they are for, err, people in professional areas, and I think more about practice and for people who want to continue in professional practice (rather than become academics).

like the MD for medics.

S

Like aliby says, doctorates can be professional qualifications (like clinical or educational psychology) - these tend to be based around placements and essays as opposed to a thesis (there is usually a thesis as part of it, but this is much shorter in length) - it is not a PhD.

T

Liberty, are you studying at an American University? That might account for the difference and confusion.

I only ask because you mentioned 6 years worth of study for a PhD (and your freedom-sounding liberating name )

L

hey coastman,

you know your post made me smile. I was glad for it. The tone here is too serious.

I did a year of my BA in the states, Cornell, (us politics) but am now 'movin-on/keepin'on' studyin' in the u.k.

I'm such a dumb-ass. I now realise that my PhD is indeed a training oriented doctorate and as such somewhat 'deviant' from the 'regular' channels of study at this level.

Keep smilin'- suits you,
xx

T

A smile is good