PhD Application

A

Hi everyone,

I already hold an Mres in Anthropology but I am looking to apply for PhD programmes in 2026 in AI/Data science (specially Large Language Models from Anthropological perspective). As I have very little training in AI I thought it would be beneficial if I get a good grounding at level 7 before the PhD (just like an anthropologist would learn a new language etc). I cant afford a standard AI MSc as I have already used student finance on my previous Mres.

My question is would you do an MSC Data Science by research at Hull University or a MSC AI from Bath? They are both Hull is one year intensive research and bath two years and double the price. The research theme at Hull is directly related to the research area I want to focus on at PhD level where as the programme at Bath is much more technical but also rigorous.

My concern is if it matters where I do this transitional masters (Hulls rep is not great) or is more about what you do during the masters the research etc and your own learning in which case it is attractive? (my previous undergrad and Mres are from the University of London and I would like to pursue my PhD at the Creative Computing Institute in London). Thank you any help much appreciated.