Chance for departmental maintenance stipend once ESRC nominated

V

Hallo everyone! I hold an offer from a prestigious university that nomited me for the ESRC (1+3) open competition as I hold a MSc which is not ESRC accredited (including though substancial research training) and as an EU student I'm eligible for a fees-award. For this reason my department will also consider my application for their advertised stipend (research council equivalent) (for direct entry to their PhD programme)(which will be announced in the next 2 weeks)..

As the deadline for both applications was in March and I've been nominated for ESRC competition do you think that I may stand any chance in getting the studentship. I'm really anxious as this would be my alny chance to get actually any funding (ESRC competition is pretty fierce and my previous degrees are not firsts or distinctions!).
(Otherwise, I'll go down the self-fund way. Ok my family can provide me some financial assistance but.. things will get tough though). However, not doing at all my PhD is just not an option...

Thus, have you heard or know about any situations where departments have chosen to award a stipend to someone that has been already nominated to ESRC open competition (fees-only) before ESRC results?