FUNDING FOR ANOTER PHD

V

Hi

Im looking to find out of anyone knows the general position I am in regarding getting funding for PhD, whenI have already studied for a PhD a few years ago which I ended up leaving due to personal problems, bad match with my professor etc. Im guessing chancing are probably nil, but if anyone has any idea ? I have been working for the previous few years in a completely non science based field but im really wanted to pursue a PhD again before my brain turns to mush!

Thanks

B

I wouldn't say your chances are nil, but they won't be as good as starting a PhD for the first time. It also depends upon what your sources of funding were for the first PhD and what they might be for the second PhD. Specifically are we talking research council funding here? If not in either case that might improve your chances.

I started a full-time computer science PhD in 1994, funded by EPSRC. I had to leave that after falling seriously ill - later found out I had a progressive neurological disease. I started a part-time history PhD in 2003. I applied for AHRC funding to run from my second year onwards. On the application form I was asked to declare what prior research council funding I had received, so I had to declare my past PhD and funding situation. I was warned my funding for any new PhD could be reduced accordingly. It wasn't though. I think I was lucky. And I completed that second PhD successfully.

But my situation was a bit unusual. I was switching between totally opposite disciplines, and different funding councils. Also I had medical reasons for having had to leave the first PhD.

You will also have the problem that any potential supervisor might be concerned about your ability to stick things out the second time. What's not to say there won't be more personal problems? And what about another potential bad match, though that's something you really should try to avoid before you start your PhD. You're interviewing your potential supervisor as much as they are interviewing you.

On the plus side though there have been reports on here from other students (usually science - where most funding is) who have left one funded PhD and have secured a second funding PhD, with no penalties. So it can be done. But you're going to have to be honest about what happened the first time, both when you apply for new funding, and when dealing with new potential supervisors.

Good luck!

H

I left a funded PhD a few years ago for a number of reasons. I'm now doing another funded PhD in a different discipline although at a similar end of the spectrum. So it is possible.

In between the PhDs I got a job as a research assistant in the new discipline and then did a masters in it. In the process I acquired a very helpful mentor whose support and encouragement has probably made my transition easier.

I'd advise making direct contact with someone in your target field to start discussing the possibilities of returning and what kind of things you can do to strengthen your case. It may be beneficial to seek employment as a research assistant first so as to get a bit more recent experience and make contacts. Funding is getting a lot more competitive now, so if you can make personal connections and show commitment then it will help your case.

Good luck.